Matt Forte got what he wanted after producing solid numbers for the Chicago Bears. After another early offseason holdout, Forte finally got the long term contract he had been seeking for the past couple of seasons. That guaranteed that Forte would be paid like one of the top running backs in the game.
It did not, however, guarantee that he would be happy.
Following the Bears’ 41-21 victory over the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, Forte once again expressed his unhappiness with the team that just showed him the money.
Forte ran the ball 16 times for 80 yards and a touchdown and caught 3 passes for 40 yards. Yet it was not what Forte did on the field, but rather the times he was pulled from the game in favor of Michael Bush.
Bush came in to score two touchdowns, with each taking place around the goal line after Forte did the work to help get the Bears down the field.
“It’s been happening my whole career here, so I don’t know,’’ Forte said when asked about not finishing drives. “That’s the coordinator’s call.’’
Overall, Bush finished with 12 carries for 42 yards and the pair of scores. He did not catch any passes. And while Forte was unhappy with the fact he continues to get pulled from the game once the ball is inside the five yard line, he understands that Bush will play a large part in Chicago’s offensive plans in 2012.
“Mike can do it all, as well,’’ Forte said. “He can catch the ball on third downs, so there are no limitations when I come out of the game. It’s not like if I come out on third down, he can’t do the same thing.’’
Unfortunately, it does not sound as if things will change any time soon with the Bears. Forte will lead them down the field, and Bush will receive the majority of the goal line carries.
And whether Forte likes it or not, this is how it is going to be going forward for Chicago.
Of course, nobody forced him to sign his $32 million contract.