The latest results of the Discover Fan Loyalty Poll have been released, with the main topic being tickets for the BCS Championship Game between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Alabama Crimson Tide. College football fans across the nation were asked both what would they do if they had a ticket to the game but could not attend, as well as how much they would be willing to pay for a ticket to the national title showdown in South Beach. Surprisingly, the majority of fans who had an unused ticket said that they would donate it to a family member or friend, while only less than a third would look to sell the ticket for a profit.
For those who are fortunate to receive a ticket to the BCS Championship Game, or many of the remaining other 32 bowl games that feature many standout players, they could be getting a great opportunity. Especially if they were afforded the chance to watch any of these top 5 defensive players during the 2012-2013 college football bowl season.
One of them just happens to be playing for the national championship.
It was also revealed that the majority of fans surveyed in the most recent Discover Fan Loyalty Poll said that they would not pay more than $100 dollars for an opportunity to attend the BCS Championship Game in person in Miami. Apparently, although Notre Dame and Alabama are two storied programs who could make for an outstanding championship game, many fans are much more comfortable and content watching the game on television instead of having to come up with three or four figures in order to attend the game live in person. Although, it may be worth the price of admission to see some of these defensive standouts take the field one last time in their college football careers.
But before we take a look at the top five defensive stars who will be taking the field for their bowl game this postseason, take a look at the percentages for each portion of the survey, followed by the infograph that displays the complete results. Check them out, and feel free to weigh in with your own thoughts and opinions at the end of this article. Let us know which team you root for, as well as how you would feel about unused tickets, whether you are looking to buy or sell.
1. What would you do with an unused ticket to the BCS Championship Game?
- Give it to a relative, 37 percent
- Give it to a friend, 22 percent
- Sell it to the highest bidder, 29 percent
- Sell it at face value, 9 percent
- Swallow the ticket, 1 percent
- Not sure, 3 percent
2. How much would you pay to attend this year’s title contest between the Irish and Tide?
- Under $100, 62 percent
- $100-$500, 19 percent
- $500-$1,000, 3 percent
- $1,000-$2,000, 1 percent
- $2,000-$3,000, 1 percent
- $3,000 or more, 1 percent
- Not sure, 15 percent
5. Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State Seminoles – This is a big time player who is likely going to go in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Werner will look to have one more monster performance against the Northern Illinois Huskies in the Discover Orange Bowl in Miami.
4. Kevin Minter, LB, LSU Tigers – The Tigers are always one of the most feared defensive units in all of college football, and 2012 was no different. A lot of that can be contributed to Minter, who anchored the No. 8 defense in the nation this season. He will have his hands full in slowing down the Clemson Tigers in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
3. Jarvis Jones, LB, Georgia Bulldogs – Jones is one of the top all around defensive players in the nation, and his Bulldogs came up one play short of playing in the BCS Championship game. Jones and Georgia will have to settle for a spot in the Capital One Bowl against the Nebraska Cornhuskers, but he should still come up with some big plays against the option.
2. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina Gamecocks – Clowney may not get the recognition that Jones and the other players on this list receive, but he may be the most gifted athlete to take the field on either side of the ball this bowl season. Look for him to make his mark against the Michigan Wolverines in the Outback Bowl in Tampa.
1. Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish – The runner up to the 2012 Heisman Trophy, Te’o has been a force for the No. 1 Fighting Irish throughout the past couple of seasons. He will have one final game to showcase his talents before he winds up in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
Stay tuned to The Pigskin Report for the most complete coverage of the entire 2012-2013 college football season, as well as the results from each week’s Discover Fan Loyalty Poll. Make sure to Like Discover on Facebook and follow them on Twitter, as they have done a fantastic job at providing us with the most entertaining results from and poll throughout the 2012 college football season!
* The 15-week Discover Fan Loyalty Poll is conducted by Rasmussen Reports, a nationally recognized leader in polling, who gathers sentiment by phone from 800 college football fans who follow games at least once per week on television, radio, in person or online.
Discover launched the Fan Loyalty Poll to give die-hard fans a platform to showcase their dedication and love for their favorite college football team leading up to the 2013 Discover BCS National Championship Game and 2013 Discover Orange Bowl. Each week the poll will offer new questions about what college football fans are thinking this season.
Beyond title sponsorship of the 2013 Discover BCS National Championship Game and 2013 Discover Orange Bowl, Discover’s commitment to college football includes relationships with ESPN and Notre Dame Football on NBC.